- This event has passed.
Juliana Areias - Beautiful Horizons - Festa Do Interior Concert
Saturday 12 June 7.00pm
Perth’s own Brazilian singer-songwriter – Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby” – present a blazing show to warm your winter and light a bonfire of the heart. Juliana invites you on a musical passage on the train of colours, precious gems, and songs from the Interior of Brazil. On this journey you’ll discover the beautiful horizons and sounds from the diverse inland of Brazil: its baroque mining cities in Minas Gerais State; the broad farmlands of Southern Brazil, rainforests of Pantanal, modern architecture in the capital Brasilia, the tropical expanse of the Amazon, and the folk bonfire festivals from the north-eastern dry areas where the rhythm of Baiao and the popular Quadrilha and Forro dance originate.
This eclectic concert will embrace some of South America’s most evocative rhythms – samba, baiao, carimbo, maracatu, guarania, folkpop – spanning traditional and contemporary composers and interpreters such as: Antonio Carlos Jobim (bossa-nova and beyond), Ary Barroso (composer of Brazil), Luiz Gonzaga (the king of Baiao), Joao Bosco, Djavan, Lenine, Joao Donato, Caetano Veloso, Milton Nascimento, Beto Guedes, Lo Borges, Fatima Guedes, Flavio Venturini, Roupa Nova, 14 Bis, Maria Rita, Maria Gadu, Diana Pequeno, Gal Costa, Toninho Horta, Wagner Tiso, Ronaldo Bastos, Fernando Brant, Dorival Caymmy,… as well as few songs from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album “Bossa Nova Baby”.
– Paul Millard, – Australian Saxophonist, flautist (leader of Straight Ahead Big Band);
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan Seven string hybrid guitarist
– Filippe Rimis – Brazilian drummer
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt