Juliana Areias - Aquarela do Brasil - Watercolours of Brazil Concert
Saturday 17 July 7.00pm
After representing the voice of contemporary immigrants in Western Australia during her performance with Perth Symphony Orchestra at the 2021 Western Australian of The Year Awards Ceremony, Perth-based Brazilian singer Juliana Areias, internationally known as The Bossa Nova Baby, invites you to dive into a watercolour of rhythms and experience the magical diversity that gives Brazilian Music its constant abundance of creativity and excitement. Roll-up for a stunning night celebrating some of the most iconic songs of over 100 years of Brazilian Music in a guided journey through its distinctive musical movements: choro, samba, baiao, samba-cancao, bossa nova, tropicalia, mpb, Brazilian pop-rock, maracatu, samba-Jazz, samba-funk, samba-rock, samba-reggae, carnaval and new contemporary directions.
This vibrant and sensuous concert will embrace some of Brazil’s most evocative rhythms and fusions featuring many celebrated composers and interpreters as well as a few songs from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album “ Bossa Nova Baby”. From fresh arrangements of the golden era of choro, samba, bossa and MPB such as Aquarela do Brasil / Brazil (Ary Barroso / Carmen Miranda), Mas que nada (Jorge Benjor / Sergio Mendes Brazil66′), Waters of March (Jobim & Elis Regina), “Carinhoso” (Pixinguinha) to contemporary Brazilian icons – Djavan, Joao Bosco, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Chico Buarque, Rita Lee, Cazuza, Paralamas do Sucesso, Tim Maia, Lulu Santos, Marisa Montes, Ceu, Maria Gadu, Maria Rita, Arlindo Cruz, Luidji Luna – this Watercolours of Brazil concert will make your heart beat stronger and your imagination fly high.
For this exceptionally colourful concert, Juliana Areias has assembled a blazing line-up of sensational musicians and special guests – showcasing the amazing talent and cultural diversity we are so lucky to have in Perth. Juliana Areias is honoured to share the stage with these extraordinary musicians:
– Annalisa Powell – Australian flautist specialising in choro music who lived in Brazil for many years and came back to Perth in the beginning of 2021.
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan seven-string guitarist and singer, mastering Brazilian hybrid fingertip style that combines bass and guitar sounds together.
– Bronton Aisworth – Australian drummer, distinctive member of Perth’s own Beleza Samba School, Adam Hall Band, Straight Ahead Big Band and many others.
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist immersed in Brazilian Afro rhythms and particular instruments such as “pandeiro” – special Brazilian Tamborine).
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel alive and spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt
More information at: www.julianaareias.com
Visit Juliana Areias - Aquarela do Brasil - Watercolours of Brazil Concert on:
Buy Tickets for the gig
|Table Tickets Remaining||68|
|Bar Tickets Remaining||40|