Juliana Areias & Co – Born to Samba Concert
Friday 24 May 7.00pm
The concert is inspired by Juliana Areias’s passion for Samba-de-Gafieira, a partner dance style where all types of sambas can be danced. The dance started in the 1940’s in Rio de Janeiro and spread to the world, including Perth, where Juliana Areias feels so lucky to have the opportunity to enjoy weekly classes with the superb samba de gafieira teachers Ana Lucia Pereira & Felipe Ortega. “Samba de gafieira is as fun as a swing and is as passionate and elegant as tango… and the joy of singing theses songs… there are no words to describe… ” – says Juliana Areias with shining eyes….
This sensuous concert will embrace some of the finest sambas of all times, uniting traditional and contemporary composers and interpreters such as: Antonio Carlos Jobim (composer of Bossa classics such as Girl from Ipanema, One Note Samba, etc), Jorge Benjor, Sergio Mendes (Mas que Nada), Ary Barroso (composer of Brazil), Joao Bosco, Djavan, Chico Buarque, Gonzaquinha, Noel Rosa, Cartola, Pixinguinha, Toquinho, Paulinho da Viola, Luiz Melodia, Emilio Santiago, Zeca Pagodinho, Arlindo Cruz, Dom Bras, Assis Valente, Eduardo Godin, Dorival Caymmi, Carmen Miranda, Elis Regina, Maria Rita, Marisa Montes, Martinalia, Ana Carolina, Leny Andrade, Rosa Passos, Maria Gadu, Cazuza… as well as few from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album Bossa Nova Baby.
For this exceptionally colourful concert, Juliana Areias has assembled a smoking line-up of sensational musicians and special guests – showcasing the amazing talent and cultural diversity we are so lucky to have in Perth. Juliana Areias is honoured to share the stage with:
– Paul Millard, – Australian Saxophonist, flautist (leader of Straight Ahead Big Band);
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan guitarist and singer;
– Arvis Mena – Cuban bassist and singer (leader of De Cuba Son Band);
– Filippe Rimis – Brazilian drummer
And very special guests:
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist
– Ourico – Lee Coumbe – Australian percussionist and Capoeira teacher (leader of Cdo-Perth Capoeira Group)
– Ana Lucia Pereira & Felipe Ortega – samba de gafieira dance teachers and their students.
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt
Visit Juliana Areias & Co – Born to Samba Concert on:
Buy Tickets for the gig
|Table Tickets Remaining||52|
|Bar Tickets Remaining||60|